Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Ahhhh Tokyo

I am happy to say that I've made it to Japan and all is well with me. The flight was horrible, 14 hours of constant pain, but since getting to Tokyo, I feel much relieved. This will probably be my only post for a week or two, as I leave for Joyo tomorrow and it will probably take me quite a while to get my internet set up.

Last night, I discovered the wonders of nomihodai. Nomi = to drink, and hodai = endless supply, or something like that. So, all you can drink (and eat) for 3000 yen ($30). Now, considering one drink will run you about 500 yen and just one plate of this food about another 700, you can see how quickly I can get my money's worth. I drank more than I really should have, and ate an even greater amount, but it was wonderful.

An interesting thing I've noticed in Tokyo so far. You see people smoking everywhere. However, it is nearly impossibly to find an ashtray, and looking on the ground, you don't see any cigarette butts. So, what happens to all of them? Do they eat them? I don't know! I get confused.

Tokyo, though, is a wonderful city, and I don't see how I could ever get enough of it. Sadly, I leave Tokyo tomorrow, so I get but a small taste of the place. Tonight I'm going with some people from my prefecture for yet another Nomihodai (I don't see this becoming a regular thing, though) and I'm going to try and hit up Kabuki-cho. Kabuki-cho is an area of Shinjuku, and the Tokyo guidebook given to us at orientation states "Both CLAIR and the Tokyo police recommend JETs stay out of Kabuki-cho," due to it's known association with yakuza. However, Miike did a lot of filming there, so I want to check it out. Should be fun.

No pictures yet, as I haven't taken my camera anywhere (I'm nervous to carry it around). It'll happen, though, don't worry.

-RW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home