Thursday, August 24, 2006

I Fear For My Ass

I learned about a nice little Japanese custom often found in the elementary (and occassionally junior high) schools. It's called a "kancho," and what it involves is the kancho-er sneak up behind someone, make their hand essentially into the shape of a gun, and then ram those first two fingers up the poor person's ass. Apparently, bonus points are awarded for successfully hitting the center. I don't know why this exists, I'm not sure why it exists, but my god, I'm dreading my first elementary visit (which I believe is in November, so I've got a while to prepare).

What is slightly more disconcerning is a similar game that exists in the Junior High Schools. Rather than go for the back, the male students instead go for the front, and attempt to grab the junk. This apparently only happens to foreigners, as there exists the myth of the "bigu diku," which I'm sure you can translate for yourself. From how I understand it, they just want to see if the size is truly large. Simple juvenile curiosity, I suppose, but somehow I'm none too cool with the idea. A hoard of 13 year old males grabbing for the Tusk? I can think of better games to play.

Tomorrow I go to Kyoto for an orientation, which includes a walking tour of Kyoto as well as drinks at a beer garden (essentially all you can drink for 3 hours). This should be a fun day.

I start school next Thursday, and I recently discovered that on my first day, I must give a speech to the whole school. In Japanese. I'm not sure how well that will go, but it'll be a trip!

~RW

1 Comments:

Blogger Beejer said...

How is this any different then tea bagging Seth's head?

Maybe Japan is just years ahead of us here in the U.S. in the "fun things to do" department.

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home