Monday, August 28, 2006

Thank you, John, Paul, George, and Ringo

School starts on Thursday, and my first school is called Higashi Joyo Junior High. I figured it would be a good idea to travel to the school yesterday just so that I know how to get there. It was successful in that sense. Now, however, I realize why everyone would laugh at the Board of Education when I said my first school was Higashi. It's the furthest of any of the schools, and about half the trip is up this gigantic hill. The hill's not too steep, but it's just incredibly long. I ended up walking most of the way up the hill, which caused the trip to take around 35 minutes. However, I had never felt so exhausted in my life. I was able to do it, though, and after this, getting anywhere else is going to seem like a piece of cake. Plus, I know I'm going to lose weight doing this.

At one point, I wanted to make sure I was on the right track, so I stopped into a convenience store to ask for directions (which I can kinda do). The clerk didn’t know, so she in turn asked a nice man with his family. He pointed me on the correct path, which was exactly how I was headed, and I continued on my journey. Just as the hill gets much steeper, and I’m practically falling over the bike, pushing myself onward, when the guy pulls up next to me in his van. He rolls down the window and says 未だ 未だ which means “still a ways to go.” Then, he drives off yelling 頑張って which is a Japanese word that essentially means “Go for it!” “You can do it” and “Good Luck!” Yeah, thanks dude, I appreciate the encouragement.

Coming back, I felt really confident because it's all downhill. I decided at that point that I need some sort of battle cry in Japanese while traveling quickly on back. Something like “I can’t stop” or “Stupid gaijin coming through” or just “Gaijin Smash!” I think that will cause the unwary to stay out of my path as I speed down the hill without the ability to stop.

Somehow, though, I took a wrong turn. I suddenly realized I was really lost. My two clues to this were when I realized I’ve hit a flat area that I’ve been biking on for about 15 minutes and had no conception of where I was, and when I saw a sign for Kyotanabe, which is about two towns over from Joyo. Once again, I used my caveman Japanese language skills and was able to get kinda on the right track. Some guy was even kind enough to draw me a map, which was completely useless. So, I proceeded to get lost yet again. What saved me, though, was I ran into a Japanese guy who spoke a little English because he's in a Beatles cover band! How's that for crazy! Anyway, he was headed to Terada station (right next to my apartment) so I followed him back. I probably tripled the amount of time the trip should have taken.

When I got home, I was exhausted, physically and mentally. Then, I looked into the mirror, and I feared for any random Japanese passersby that happened to have seen me. I was soaked in sweat, and looking thoroughly disheveled, unpleasant, and angry. Fear the fat gaijin.

Speaking of fearing the gaijin, Ray and I traveled into Kyoto today to figure out where the orientation is that we have to go to tomorrow (I’m really getting tired of these useless orientations). When approaching the Kyoto subway, we realized we were about to miss the train. Ray said wait for the next one, and I instead replied, “let’s run for it.” So, we did. I charged full speed towards the opening of the subway car. Standing just inside the car was this middle-aged Japanese woman in a kimono. I wish I could have photographed the look on her face when she glanced up. Just imagine her surprise when she notices a giant gaijin, already sweaty from the heat, running full speed directly at her. She quickly jumped away from the entrance to the car (I wouldn’t have run into her, I don’t think) and then moved to the back of the car, as far from me as possible.

Anyway, because of the Beatles’ apparent English teaching abilities, I’ve never had such a warm love for John, Paul, George, and Ringo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home