Thursday, October 12, 2006

I prayed it would never happen

I have learned that every day in Japan, I will experience something new. That much is certain. Today, for example, I learned the shock, horror, and discomfort of being rectally violated by the fingers of a thirteen year old boy. Let me explain.

Today, one of the teachers, Junko, asked me to join her for a class I wasn’t scheduled to participate in. Apparently, those who come up with the schedule only include AETs in classes where there is an activity. We are not included into normal everyday instruction. Junko, however, still sees the value in having me in any class, and so will ask me to join in additional classes. She is, of course, quite correct, as I’m able to assist in many ways, and I prefer it. I also just enjoy teaching with Junko because she’s easily one of the best teachers I’ve ever encountered. Plus, she’s young, attractive, and I have a date with her on Sunday.

In this class, the students (ichinensei) were learning pronouns, and while Junko was explaining, I was walking around the classroom making sure students weren’t sleeping (which happens much more than you might expect). I soon learned my folly.

In Japan, a handkerchief is essential for daily living for a variety of reasons, none of which I’m going to get into now. I always have my handkerchiefs hanging out of my back pocket. Students, of course, always try to grab them, especially when I have my blue one (apparently, some famous Japanese baseball star always uses a blue handkerchief, so for some reason, the comparisons are always made).

Today, while walking down one row, I feel my handkerchief stolen and immediately spin around to catch the culprit. Too late I learned this was a coordinated effort. As the one boy distracted me, a second boy right behind me kanchoed me. See previous posts for an explanation of a kancho, but real quick: essentially, it involves ramming your fingers up someone’s ass, and is a popular “game” amongst Japanese students. I had never before had this happen to me, and I pray to god it never happens again. Let me just say that it is not pleasant. The feelings of shock alone are enough to leave you stammering “what the fuck…” but the sudden realization that you’ve just been violated in such a way makes your mind snap into a realm of unpleasant insanity.

The rest of the class I avoided that row, because the student, amused by my reaction of “NO, THAT IS NOT COOL!!!!” became ever ready to catch me unawares. After class, I saw him approaching me out of the corner of my eye, and rather then try to confront him or defend myself, I simply ran in fear.

I eat lunch with one of the ninensei classes, and there’s this one kid who always tries to grab my sides or my crotch. While he’s succeeded in getting the sides, his attempts at my crotch have ended (thankfully) in failure. Today, though, he was incredibly gung ho. After continually sneaking up behind me all ninja like and grabbing my sides lost its fun for him, he went on a full frontal attack. I ended up grabbing him by the wrists and attempting to push him away. Naturally, I’m quite a bit stronger than he is, but god almighty was he determined to grab my junk. It took every bit of awareness, strength, and quickness I have to continually thwart his penis grasping attempts.

God this country is fucked up.

There's this one ninensei girl who, every time she sees me, puts her hands in the shape of a gun, points it at me, and says "bang." While this was marginally entertaining at first, it's long since gotten redundant, and so I figured I should find out what the deal is. I asked the girl why she repeatedly does this, and she took a moment to think. She then responded in English "I love to bang." Ah, the accidental perversion of my students.

1 Comments:

Blogger Erika said...

Just when I think the body violation stories will stop, there is another one, worse than the last. I'm sure it's driving you crazy, but not for nothing; I know I'm highly entertained by these stories.

I have to wonder, how much of this Japanese culture will you adopt while you're there? I'm not sure, so next time I see you, I will be sure to wear layers of baggy clothes.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home