Thursday, September 21, 2006

Not Quite Ninjas

So, finally, a post about a day at school that does not include me being groped by students. Therefore, a happy day.

Today, I was relaxing in the teacher's lounge when Hirosawa-sensei asked me what a band-aid is called in English. I said "band-aid" and this sparked an immediate controversy amongst the teachers. I have no idea what they were talking about, but every other word was band-aid. This went on for about fifteen minutes. I'm not sure why there was such amazement over this, but I suppose the teachers were easily amused at this point.

Then, one guy I've never talked to before, comes up to me and asks me in broken English what "carbonated drinks" are called in Pittsburgh. First, I was simply amazed that, among all the words he did not know or could not pronounce right, he got carbonated drinks perfect. The second piece of amazement came when he mentioned the reason he's asking, mostly through Hirosawa-sensei translating. He read somewhere that Pittsburgh says "pop" while everyone else in America says "soda." Now, I know "pop" is not exclusive to Pittsburghese, but still, the fact that he was aware of a separate dialect in Pittsburgh astounded me. I told him that pop is correct, and this too created widespread discussion. I mean, they can name their drinks "Pocari Sweat" and "CowPiss" but "pop" is just weird.

Earlier in the day, I thanked a teacher for explaining something to me. She said "you're welcome" and the guy next to her said "no no no no, you do not say you're welcome. no one says that. it makes you sound stupid." The above sentence was half in Japanese, but essentially, that's what he said. I asked him what he thinks you say, and his response was "No problemo." I can only imagine the blank stares and laughs he would receive in the U.S.

Other than strange conversations in the teacher's lounge, I had an interesting day after school. Classes end at 3:15, and from 3:15 to 3:30, it's cleaning time, where the whole school cleans. After cleaning time, I think there's a brief ten minute home room, and then club activities begin. Since my work day officially ends at 4:15, I usually hide during cleaning time, and then walk around to various clubs, spending most of my time with the Ping Pong club getting my ass beat by kids. It's fun though.

Well, today, I left the teacher's room, and was immediately greeted my two ichinensei girls. I don't know their names (they never introduce themselves) but the one girl I recognized from class today. She was one of those ubershy kids who will not respond to a question no matter what. If I would ask her a question in class, she'd just slink down into her chair and refuse to look at me. I found it extremely funny and so called on her constantly throughout the class. Her friend I did not know.

Anyway, as I left the teacher's room, I said hello to them, and then started walking the hallways. I noticed that they were following me, so I turned around and tried to engage them in conversation. When I turned, they tried to hide, but since there was nothing to hide behind, they just pressed themselves against the wall. They then followed me throughout the school, "hiding" anytime I turned around. It was really bizarre. When I went into the Ping Pong room to play a few matches, they quietly waited outside for a good 15 minutes before I left the room, and thus the following continued. It was really creepy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home