Friday, October 20, 2006

Students do the Crazy

My current school is known as the “bad” school. According to most teachers, it has the most “naughty” students in it (I find the regular use of the term “naughty to describe bad kids to be amusing). Well, now that I’ve been here for a week, I must conclude that, yes, it has the most undisciplined students of any of the other schools, but it also has the most outgoing and fun students. I only have this school for two weeks this entire year, and that pisses me off so much. Even though I’m sick and doped up on cold medication, I’ve never had so much fun teaching and walking the halls in my life. Just hysterical.

Take, for instance, today during cleaning time. I was hanging out with the sannensei, and there were four boys just lounging around, one of which holding a broom. They started just saying random English words, and then the Japanese translation: thank you arigato; goodbye sayonara. Stuff like that. Eventually, one of them says “excuse me sumimasen,” and at that the boy with the broom yells out, with a near complete lack of accent “FUCK YOUR SUMIMASEN!” He promptly hurls the broom like a javelin full force into the belly of the one boy who hasn’t said anything and then proceeded to judo throw the kid that originally said “sumimasen” to the ground. I was half expecting a fight, but then they all just started laughing and yelling out “fuck your sumimasen.” The last I saw of them, they were wandering down the hallway, continuing to yell out their little phrase.

There were several sannensei’s scrubbing the crap out of the hallway floor (I wish I knew how they motivate kids to clean this much). I was standing nearby, laughing at their determination and hard work, when I started talking to one sannensei girl, who spoke uncannily good English. So, I’m asking her questions, when I see this one boy keep jokingly pushing over one of the scrubbing girls. I ask about this, and she says that the two are dating. I say that’s cute, and the boy walks over and says something to me in Japanese. I look to the English-speaking girl for translation, and she says, with some difficulty “He says he has the sex with her.”

Then there’s this one girl who constantly runs up to me, waves her hands in front of my face, yells “WHOA!!!!!” and then bolts the hell out sight. I mean, she disappears with total ninja skills.

It really disheartens me that I’ll never see any of these sannensei again, and since the schedule is screwed up because of midterms, I only have each class once in the course of my time here. There’s got to be someway to change this system, and I know just the man to do it… now I just have to convince Ray to put forth that much work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home