Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Triumphant Return

I would say I don't know how I get myself into these situations, but unfortunately, I already know the answer. If you will recall, I mentioned that I might have agreed to cook sweet potatoes for the whole office this past friday. I wasn't sure, but upon going into the office on Monday, I was greeted with my answer. Less then .000001 seconds after I walked through the door, I was presented with approximately 6 pounds of sweet potatoes, and simply given the instruction of "cook these for wednesday." At least I think that was the instruction. Really, they just talked at length in Japanese, and I, in turn, responded "hai."

So, tonight, I have now successfully made 6 pounds of candied sweet potatoes. This was a first, and I was semi-pleased with the outcome. The task was especially difficult since I do not have a) an oven b) a microwave or c) kitchen space to work with 6 pounds of sweet potatoes. Still, I perservered and have completed my mission.

While at the grocery store shopping for what I needed, I happened to run into two Nishi girls and three Joyo Chu girls. While they were, of course, in separate groups (there's a rivalry between the two schools, with the latest event in said rivalry being four Joyo Chu kids going to Nishi and beating the shit out of several Nishi kids. I think baseball bats were involved, but I'm not sure), they immediately joined together with one single purpose: to follow me around and see what I was purchasing. I'm not sure what was being said, but each time I put an item into my basket, peels of laughter erupted near me. The situation was made worse considering my odd selection of items: brown sugar, brandy, marshmallows, bleach, and a bottle of Pocari Sweat (note, only three of the above items were used in the potatoes). The whole experience made shopping slightly more surreal. How often do you have a group of spectators follow you as you perform mundane chores. I'm special!

On the subject of being special, I returned to Higashi Joyo yesterday and it was made fairly clear that I was missed. One attractive young assistant teacher who I "spoke" with frequently last time (I say "spoke" as she doesn't understand much English, and what English she does know is from Japanese music that uses odd English phrases) happened to see me smoking outside from the window of the teacher's room. She leaned out the window, gave a few waves yelling "STEBEN! STEBEN! OHAYO!" About 30 seconds later, she had run out the gate and we were chatting outside about... well... nothing, since we have difficulty communicating.

The excitement was not limited to young teachers. Students also seemed happy to see me. One kid, the student who was the first to grab my crotch, seemed especially delighted... thankfully for reasons that had nothing to do with my crotch. He appparently recalled only one word from my self introduction, with that word being "Crazy." When I would see him, everything was, well, crazy. He would point at me and yell "crazy!" He would point at himself and yell "crazy!" He would point at teachers, fellow students, plants, books, my stuffed monkey, and even once a pencil case and call them crazy. I found it amusing, but I'm pretty sure the pencil case's feelings were hurt.

It's amazing how much things can change in a year. For Halloween this year, I stayed in my apartment in Japan cooking sweet potatoes. For Halloween last year, I was face down in a ditch in Bowling Green with a sprained ankle, various cuts and bruises, and more alcohol then I really needed in my body. I can't help but feel that, except for the Japan part, I've taken a step backward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home